Thursday, May 17, 2012

Leftover Thursday - King's Cauliflower

This is actually an old Leftover Thursday from last Thursday that I'm just now getting around to finishing - it's been a busy week!  Newer posts coming soon!  Anyway, after a beautiful couple of days where Matt and I tested out our new grill (I mean, Matt tested it out and I watched), it started to rain.  While I've certainly grilled in the rain before (in the sense that other people are grilling and I am watching, often from inside), we returned to strictly indoor cooking.

Boil, boil, toil, and trouble.

In last Monday's post about grilled cauliflower, I discussed King Louis XIV's preferred method of preparation of cauliflower.  Since we didn't end up grilling the whole head, I thought we'd try the King's favorite cauliflower (must be good - he's a King!).  It's pretty simple to make - boil the cauliflower in broth with some nutmeg until tender, strain, and top with butter - but it's simplicity belies its noble heritage.  As I found out while researching the Shrewsbury Cakes recipe, nutmeg was particularly expensive during the reign of the Sun King.  The Dutch held a monopoly on the spice, and kept prices artificially high by (supposedly) burning warehouses full of it to keep it off the black market.  So the fact that the King liked to throw some on his cauliflower (a vegetable which he helped popularize, and apparently ate often) really speaks to his sense of excess.  Although, King Louis XIV was not known for his modest living.

The grounds at Versailles.  Not too shabby, even if it was kind of rainy when I was there.

Anyway, it's pretty good.  The nutmeg is a really nice addition, and something I wouldn't have thought of adding to cauliflower.  I add it to other veggies - it's good on kale, for instance - but my thinking about cauliflower has been pretty much in-the-box.  Matt and I thought that though it was tasty, and certainly more flavorful than cauliflower boiled in water, but not necessarily better than grilled or roasted.  But if it's raining outside and it's too hot to roast, it makes a nice side dish. 

Kind of looks like regular cauliflower.



Hey Dad - look familiar?

2 comments:

  1. Could it be Le petit train de Saint Emilion? I don't remember that they served cauliflower in the club car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't remember that they had a club car! But I saw the photo when I was looking to find one from Versailles, and thought I'd put it up for you.

      Delete