Sunday, May 19, 2013

Honeymooning

First of all, a big thank you to everyone who came to our wedding! We had such a great day, mainly because all of you were there (besides the getting married part, which was also pretty awesome). Anyway, as you know, Matt and I just got back from our honeymoon - a week in Iceland - so I thought I'd take a break from the bridal shower recipes to fill you in a little on Iceland and some of the food we had over there (the good, the weird, the tasty).

Mr. and Mrs. Williamson in Iceland

As you'd expect since it's an island, many of Iceland's traditional foods are from the sea - fish, whale, waterbirds, shellfish, etc. And as you'd also expect in an area that is pretty inhospitable during the winter, a lot of the traditional foods are smoked or otherwise preserved to sustain people through those long, inhospitable winters. 

Fresh fruits and vegetables are becoming less rare - greenhouses are taking off in the southern parts of the country and producing fruits, vegetables, flowers, and herbs year-round - but they are still expensive and used conservatively (that's my take.  I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, though, so my "conservative use" might be someone else's "normal use").  They're also not super flavorful, and I blame that on the greenhousing (because I am a produce snob).  But at least they're there, which is certainly good news. 

Gullfoss waterfall - it was amazing!
 The only indigenous mammal to Iceland is the arctic fox, but early (9th century) Viking settlers brought over horses, cows, and sheep. Since these animals became isolated populations, they eventually adapted to the harsh environment, and today are distinctly different from their non-Icelandic counterparts (and will remain so - Iceland prohibits the importation of these animals).  They are also all eaten regularly. 

Enough blabbering, you're thinking.  What did you eat? 

Guillemot breast (top) and smoked puffin (bottom right)
When we started researching Iceland, one of the first things we found out is that the puffin is a national emblem in Iceland.  We also learned that they are a national delicacy.  And Matt has wanted to try one ever since. The puffin became a symbol of Iceland during the 1973 volcanic eruption on the southern island of Heimaey in the Westman Islands. Heimaey has the largest fishing port in Iceland, as well as a rather large puffin colony, and the dubious honor of being the windiest place in Iceland (and arguably all of Europe). So when the volcano began erupting in January of 1973, the puffin became a symbol for the people of Heimaey, and Iceland in general, resulting in efforts to not eat it.  They still eat puffin during the national holidays, and the Heimaey summer festivals, but it is no longer the mainstay it once was.  Other waterbirds are not held in such high esteem, however, and are eaten more regularly. We spent two days on Heimaey (highly recommended!), and tried puffin while we were there. It is served smoked, and the main flavor (to me) was smoke.  Texture-wise, it's like duck, but the smoke flavor was so overwhelming that I couldn't taste anything underneath it.  The guillemot breast that was served with it was very much like duck. Matt says, "Yum!"

The Blue Lagoon (and power plant in the background - adds a futuristic touch)
One of the other delicacies we read about was skyr, an Icelandic equivalent to Greek yogurt.  Like Greek yogurt, it is thick and delicious and can be found at Whole Foods (but only buy the kind actually made in Iceland.  The ones made in the US aren't the same.  Trust me.).  Unlike Greek yogurt, it is only made with skim milk from Icelandic cows and has a naturally high protein content.  Skyr can be served equally well for breakfast and dessert - for dessert it is mixed with cream and served with fruit compote or chopped chocolate (or both). Even Matt liked it that way!  It can also be used in baked goods - and in fact I now have a cake recipe with it that I am interested in trying.  So needless to say, I ate pretty much as much skyr as I could get my hands on - for breakfast, as a snack, in a smoothie, I as a dipping sauce, for dessert, etc.

We tried their beer, too.
The last thing I'll mention is candy.  We went to the bank a few days before we left to exchange the ol' US dollar for some Icelandic Kronor.  Unfortunately, we were out of luck - turns out the bank in Central Square does not carry Kronor on the regular.  We were in luck that our teller had been to Iceland a few times, and told us to be sure to try their candy, specifically the chocolate covered black licorice.  I admit that we were skeptical, Matt more so than I.  I mean, I like chocolate, and I like black licorice, so conceptually, it seems like I should like it.  But I had never considered these two flavors before, so I was a bit unsure about this.  Turns out, my skepticism was misplaced.  Chocolate covered licorice is delicious!  And the variety is endless - small pieces of licorice, larger pieces of licorice, gummy licorice, more solid licorice, licorice cream, dark chocolate, milk chocolate - and they are all delicious!  Matt tried it, but he's not much of a licorice fan, so he wasn't as into it as I was.  Which is fine with me - more for me! 

Next time, I'll actually cook something.  It'll be crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment